Everything you need to know to get a Hamad Health Card in Qatar
Qatar has one of the best healthcare systems for all citizens and residents to enjoy. The medical infrastructure in Qatar is very advanced and offers world-class healthcare to all of Qatar’s citizens and residents alike. The country has good medical institutions both public and private with highly-trained staff operating nationwide to serve the healthcare system. Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) is Qatar’s non-profit healthcare service provider. To access services from Hamad Medical Corporation, you will require a Hamad Health Card. Here is everything you need to know to acquire a Hamad Health Card.
Benefits of having a Hamad Health Card
Having an HMC medical card may come in handy, whether to compliment your private insurance or to enjoy proper medical insurance in case of lack of private insurance. One can enjoy consultations, blood tests, surgeries and other types of medical services including treatment for a mental illness free of charge, or enjoy heavy subsidies for all valid cardholders.
In some cases, consultations and non-emergency treatments may cost extra but will be subsidized for cardholders. Other benefits include;
- HMC offers the most advanced medical equipment and treatment from very well trained staff.
- All citizens and residents have the equal right to health services regardless of race and nationality or residency.
- Treatment is free at health centres
- HMC cardholders may have prescriptions filled from government pharmacies at subsidized rates.
- Consultations and non-emergency services may be expensive but are subsidized for all valid cardholders.
Here is a list of documents you will require to apply for a Hamad Health Card:
Provide copies of the following documents;
- Housing electricity bill
- Housing contract
- Company letter, if provided by the company
- Passport and Residence Permit
- Passport size photo
- Photo for the house blue flat number
Note that if the electricity is not under the tenant name, the ministry of the municipality should stamp a housing contract. These are the required documents as per the Hamad Medical Corporation Website.
How to get Hamad Health Card- Qatari and GCC nationals
- Qatari adults are required to bring copies of their ID and a passport-sized photo (4cm x 3cm)
- Qatari children should have their birth certificate with Qatar ID number or passport, passport-size photograph, vaccination card (in case of renewals)
- GCC national residents who are adults are required to provide a copy of passport or ID with Qatar ID number, a passport-size photo, vaccination card, your old health card (in case of renewals)
- GCC National Child Residents are to provide their birth certificate or passports with their Qatar ID number, one passport-size photo, vaccination card (for first-time issue for children born in Qatar, old health card in case of renewals)
Adult, Children Qatar Residency
- The adult residence will require; a valid QID passport with a valid Residence Permit, and a passport-size photo.
- Children require a passport with a valid Residence Permit and a passport-size photo.
- Children will require a passport with a valid Residence Permit and a passport-size photo, with a vaccination card (for first-time issue and those either born or vaccinated in Qatar)
- Domestic staff will require a valid passport and Residence Permit, a passport-size photograph, original QID of your sponsor (for professions approved by the Ministry of Interior personal sponsorship)
All the above groups will be required to provide a copy of a utility bill and a housing contract as proof of address.
The following fees apply and must be paid by credit card. No cash will be accepted. The card will be issued by the hospital immediately, or you may be asked to return it after a few days to collect it.
For Qatari adults and children, the price is QR 50.
GCC Adult residents and their children will pay QR 50.
Adult residents and their children will pay QR 100