How To Apply For A Passport Online In Kenya
You do not have to stay in long queues at the immigration office to apply for your travel passport anymore. This process has been done away with and you can now apply for and even replace your e-passport online. In this article, I’m going to take you through the procedure of ‘how to apply for an e-passport in Kenya, the charges one undergoes, and other essential information needed during the process. The immigration department decided to make the whole process easier by abrogating manual passports and started issuing e-passports.
What are the new features of the e-passport?
Let’s go through the features that make the e-passport outstanding and preferable to the old manual travel passport:
1. Electric chip
This small chip is so important since it’s responsible for holding and keeping all your personal information secure.
2. E-passport holder photograph
The e-passport holder has to take a digital photo to avoid the elimination of your document during application. Your application for an e-passport can be rejected due to errors and failure to provide the documents and data needed for the process. Make sure you don’t have your hat, cap, or any other head-covering material when taking the three photographs needed for the application. Make sure your photos are less than 2 inches by 1.5’ or greater than 2.5’ by 2 inches.
e-passport application requirements in Kenya
Before submitting your application to the immigration department for the e-passport, you are supposed to have the following documents:
- An authentic national ID card as well as its photocopy
- Parents’ original National ID cards and their photocopies as well. (For deceased parents, one should carry their death certificates along for immigration purposes. Moreover, if one is an adopted child, one will have to carry and submit the adoption certificate which acts as a clearance from the children’s department.)
- Your birth certificate (original) as well as its photocopies.
- Three passport-size digital photographs
- Recommender’s Identification card as well as its photocopies
- Any individuals below the age of 18 years have to submit a handwritten approval letter from their guardian or parent.
- Carry the e-passport form of application along with three receipts.
- For replacement, carry the old passport with you for submission.
Passport application authorized recommenders
- An advocate
- Bank official
- Religious official
- A Doctor
- Civil servants
How To Apply For A Passport Online In Kenya
Estimate Cost : 10,000 4,500
Time Needed : 0 days 0 hours 20 minutes
This is the process of how to apply for a passport online in Kenya.
- Go to the eCitizen portal
Make sure you have a stable and working internet connection to open your eCitizen portal on your browser.
- 2. Login or register
Do you have an eCitizen account? If yes, hit the login button and get moving. If you don’t have one, you’ll have to register, get the login details then open your eCitizen account eventually.
- Tap the ‘immigration e-passport application form Kenya’ option
Once the application form is accessible, take your time and keenly fill in the provided spaces with all the relevant information needed. Make sure all the questions are answered eventually before submitting your form.
- Fee payment
Last but not least, you will have to pay the required fees for processing your application. Depending on the type of service you’re in for, the payments vary from one to another. There are various payment options for the processing fees i.e. M-pesa. Airtel money, online banking options, debit and credit cards, or through the eCitizen agents.
- Printing and downloading
Before printing and downloading your application form make sure you proofread your application to ensure all the sections are filled with the required information. Lastly, print two to three copies of the application form as well as the receipts since you might need them later on.
- Application form submission
Lastly, submit the application form at the immigration offices or any Huduma center near you. You will have to submit the application form personally to process your biometric data and take the required digital photos.
- Laptop or smartphone connected to data
- Personal ID card and photocopy
Parent’s ID card
Passport sized photos
Recommender’s ID card photocopy
Passport application costs in Kenya
|PASSPORT TYPE||Fee (Kshs)|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||Ksh. 4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||Ksh. 6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||Ksh. 7,550|
|East African Passport||Ksh. 990|
|Diplomatic passport (48 pages)||Ksh. 7,550|
|Mutilated Passport||Ksh. 10,050|
|Lost Passport||Ksh. 12,050|
- How much is a passport in Kenya?
A passport in kenya costs 4,500 to 10,000 shillings depending on the type of passport you need.
- Can you apply for a Kenyan passport online?
Yes, you can apply for a passport in kenya using the e-citizen online portal.
- How do I get a passport in Kenya in 2022?
To get a passport in kenya, apply on e-citizen online, alternatively you can visit the immigration office and apply for a passport.