The car-washing business is a very lucrative business venture. It is very easy to start and run. A car wash is a worthy investment as the number of vehicle owners in Kenya is increasing steadily, therefore increasing the demand for car-washing services. The business is also a source of self-employment and will help generate income for the jobless as well. This article is a small guide on how to start and run your car-wash business and a few tips to help you get the most out of it.
How to start a car-washing business in Kenya.
- Do a market survey to establish the feasibility of the venture as well as to help you to be able to determine the starting costs, as well as the expected returns.
- Identify a location that is easily accessible to vehicles and has regular water access. Also, ensure that you choose a location with little or no competition.
- Choose the name of your car wash. Make it catchy and ensure it enables customers to identify as well.
- Get the necessary licenses and certificates. You will require a single business permit. It is issued by the respective county government.
- Get the necessary equipment to start your business. Advancements in technology have seen the amount of labor required in car washes reduce, while the quality of the wash has increased. You will need the following equipment:
- A high-pressure car wash machine.
This is among the first things anyone planning to start a car wash should buy. Buy a machine keeping the scope of your business in mind. A good washing machine will cost you about sh.20,000 to sh.40,000. Also, remember to consider the fuel type used by the machine.
A petrol pump will ensure your business is still operational during power black-outs.
- Water tank.
Tanks are available in capacities from 1,000 litres to 10,000 litres. Tanks provide water storage. This will help during water shortages as well as increase the convenience of your business. Ensure the tanks are always clean to avoid dirtying the water for washing.
You will also require the following to start a car-washing business in Kenya:
- Vacuum cleaners
These are some items you may require to start a profitable car wash business in Kenya. Ensure you get high-quality equipment for the good of your business. A good car wash business is very profitable as it will earn referrals and recommendations from happy customers.
Here are a few tips to ensure your car-washing business stands out. These tips aim to increase traffic to your premises and increase profits.
- Ensure your premises are large enough to accommodate several vehicles. Provide space for customers to wait for their cars to be washed. A large space will increase the number of vehicles you can wash in one go.
- Keep your car-wash clean and appealing. Make sure there is good drainage to prevent water from flooding. The premises will also look more appealing and will attract more customers.
- Always ensure there is good water and electricity supply to avoid inconveniencing customers. Reliability will also make your car-wash marketable.
- Ensure you have adequate manpower to reduce waiting times for customers. Customers like fast service and car-washing is no exception.
- Increase the variety of services available. Offer the following additional services:
- Carpet cleansing
- Motorbike washes
- Selling spare parts
- Night parking
- Engine and under-wash
- Selling any other relevant or related products
Lastly, make your car-wash easily recognizable. Proper branding and use of lights is likely to attract vehicle owners.
The car-washing business is very flexible and easy to start. Here is a small breakdown of the approximate cost of starting a car-wash.
- Leasing of land and rehabilitation: sh.30,000
- Marketing and branding: sh.10,000
- Equipment will cost you about sh.100,00
- Licenses at sh.20,000
This has been a small guide on how to start a car-washing business in Kenya.