QDC guide: how to apply for a permit, renew, and order online
Qatar is an Islamic country, and therefore one would require a permit or a special license to purchase pork and alcohol products. These products are not halal and are subject to 100% sin tax which is applied to specific products deemed harmful to human health and to the environment.
Qatar Distribution Company is the only importer, distributor, and retailer of alcohol and pork products. It also issues permits to hotels, clubs, and restaurants in the country to sell alcohol to their customers.
At the Qatar Distribution Company, Alcohol can be bought directly by permitted or licensed individuals for home consumption. Non-muslims can only buy pork products with a license or permit. If you’re looking to purchase these products, this article is a guide on how to apply for a permit, renew, and order online from QDC.
Eligibility for a QDC license/permit
- A non-GCC citizen with a valid Qatar Residence Permit.
- Must be above 21 years of age.
- Must earn a basic salary of QR3000 every month excluding all allowances.
Some Residence Permit holders/non-QID applicants who are on multi-entry Visas can apply under special circumstances.
Individuals working in Qatar on a multi-entry visa or other types of business visa are to meet the following criteria;
- Must be residing in Qatar for at least 3 months
- Must reside in private accommodation in Qatar (not hotels)
- These details must be confirmed in writing by the employer or sponsor
Follow these steps to apply for a QDC permit
You will require the following;
- A letter in English addressed to QDC or “to whom it may concern”, from your employer.
The letter has to contain;
- Breakdown of monthly salary
- The accommodation entitlement has to be stated as either a monthly allowance or free housing provided by the employer
- Signature of an authorized signatory, with the company stamp.
- Dated the last 3 months
- Original company letterhead
- A QID valid for over 2 months
- A filled QDC application form is available in the permit office waitinging area or at the Parking Guard Room.
- You may also require;
- Bank statements
- Employment contract
- CR copy
- The license fee is to be paid by the applicant on a pro-rata basis that is based on the validity of the QID. The fee is non-refundable and can be paid using credit and debit cards.
You can book an online appointment at the permit office through the QDC website.
Once you have your QDC permit, it is important to remember the following
- The permit is for personal use only
- You’ll find out your monthly quota (for alcoholic products) upon completion of the registration process
- Only main and joint permit holders are allowed inside the retail store, as guests or even spouses without joint cards or children aren’t allowed inside.
- Pork products are to be sold to non-Muslims only.
- You cannot purchase without your permit card.
- Any form of transfer observed on QDC premises will lead to suspension or cancellation of the permit and confiscation of goods.
- The permit holder must conceal the goods from public view in transit.
- Consumption of alcohol products is to be done at the permit holder’s residence only and cannot be resold to others or given as gifts.
- It is prohibited to transfer liquor even to other permit holders.
An additional card may be issued to a permit holder’s spouse, provided that the spouse has a valid Residence Permit. Both the permit holder and spouse should apply in person together.
How to book a QDC appointment online
QDC license holders can pre-order items directly from the QDC website through their click and collect service. Just follow the following steps.
- Choose the click and collect button on the QDC homepage.
- Insert login details
- Set the date and the time of collection
- Add items to the cart
- Review and pay online
- Collect your order from the QDC shop.
When using click and collect, always remember the following;
- Orders can be cancelled up to 24hours before the collection date and time through the QDC “contact us” page.
- You can also change your collection date and time 24 hours before the earlier stated collection date and time.
- You cannot change your order
- Your order will be confirmed via email
- You can view your orders via the “my orders” tab ok the QDC webpage.
- Only a main cardholder or a joint cardholder that is linked to the main cardholder can collect the order.
- If you miss your collection date and time, your order will be cancelled and you’ll have to place a new one.
- Pork products are not available for online purchase.
Validity of the permit
The expiry date is shown in the MM/YY format. The permit is valid till the last day of the indicated month.
Only one purchase is allowed after expiry to allow one time to renew the permit
Within 30 days, usage is conditional upon you having a confirmed retail store appointment booked before the last day of the card’s expiry.
How to renew your QDC permit
- If you are still under the same employer, you can renew online via the website, or book an appointment online to renew personally. You must have a QID.
- If your company, role or status changed, you are to submit your documents as per the new permit application. You are to apply in person and to submit the updated application form alongside the documents.
- If under family sponsorship, you will require a new letter from your employer and present your QID card each time you renew. Your Qatar RP should be more than 2 months.
- The applicant is to pay license fees on a pro-rata basis based on the QID validity. This can be paid via credit or debit card.
If you lose your validity card;
- Notify the QDC immediately by sending an email to [email protected] to disable the lost card.
- For replacement, you will first require a Retail Store Visit appointment. You’ll then have to go to the permit office with your QID or Qatar driving license or passport.
- If the permit is still valid, a new card will be issued with the same number but a different card code.
- If the old card is found, it is to be discarded as its code will be discarded in the QDC system.
- If the permit has expired, it is to be renewed before a replacement card can be issued.
Note that you may cancel your QDC permit. You may visit the QDC permit office and request your card to be cancelled and surrender your permit card. If you are unable to visit in person or have already left Qatar, you can send an email to [email protected] with your details so that your card may be cancelled.
Qatar Distribution Company (QDC) contacts
It is located at Umm Al Jefairat, Abu Hamour Area, off Wholesale Market Road in Doha
Email: [email protected]
PHONE: +974 4429 9777
Opening Hours: Saturday – Thursday (8:30 AM to 7:00 PM) Friday (2:00 PM to 7:00PM)